This is the problem...

Met a P3 boy I helped out with in the first term in school. He's been dropped from our pilot scheme since then. I asked him how he fared for the recent CA2 and he said he failed every subject. He explained that he was unable to read and to understand the questions in all his papers.

My concern is how did he get to Primary 3 and whether he will fall through the cracks of our education system. Is there a safety net for students like him? At the end of the day, he has to want to try harder at his schoolwork, but what will motivate him to do so?

Do keep him in prayer? His name is Samuel. :)

Comments

  1. Hi. When Samuel said he was "unable to read", was that in the literal sense? If so, he may be dyslexic and there are ways to help dyslexic kids read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya =) HUGS!

    I know. I studied about dyslexia in UK and I've asked the teachers before about some of the kids and their reading problems, but the school cannot do much without the support/permission of the parents as well. Some of the parents are not keen on taking action- usually due to financial issues or they really want people to butt out of their problems. And sometimes the school is bound by red tape. I'll try voicing out my views on this again at the next meeting.

    As I am a part time teacher I really have not much say over the matter.

    Eg. I tried asking the teacher about helping another kid whose dad was an alcoholic divorcee. He had very bad discipline issues. He is much better now after 2 terms.

    The best thing we can do now is to depend on the supernatural and to pray for these kids. I can't do much in the natural, but I believe with everyone's prayers, God is doing great things for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES