Sighs... what's with these traditions that don't mean a thing?

I was just asking my tenant, a really nice Thai Chinese (Buddhist), if she could please wash her clothes (3 pants + 5 polo tee shirts) in one load because she usually splits them up into 2 loads!! Even if she washes all 8 items, it is just under half load.

She said ok but the next day, she told me that it is a thai tradition to wash tops and pants seperate. Her mother taught her that way and her granny taught her mum that way, etc etc. Her mum said it is a tradition passed down from ancestors in China.

So she was surprised that Singaporean Chinese don't practice the same thing. We are all from China afterall so why the difference? She then added that she doesn't feel comfy washing her clothes together. So because she is a nice lady, I decided aiya just let her do whatever she is comfy in this case lah. =p But inside a bit frust coz she pays my mum, we live there for free but the thing is only Ian & I pay for the utility bills. =pp

For an IT expert who does the IT stuff for the ERP system, I am surprised that she subscribes to such pointless traditions. I mean if she can give me a proper reason, I'd not feel so chaffed I guess?

The traditions established in the past might not be relevant any more in the face of modern technology...

Sometimes these Chinese traditional mumbo jumbo really make me feel so ARGH! =p

Don't get me started on my confinement torture because of the Chinese traditions my Mum subscribes to. Sighs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES