What are we demonstrating to our kids about the priorities of life?

This first appeared in a comment I made on Blog Pastor's Page about 5 mins ago =D I edited it further as I had more reflections to add on hahaha.

When I first watched this (video by Yasmin Ahmad for Petronas) 2 years back, I loved it so much.



All these adorable Ah Mas remind me of the old women my maternal mama used to chill with when I was a kiddo. =) <>

Watching this video, this thought strikes me- At the end of the day, what matters is the value our kids grow up with, and not so much the tutors, extra lessons, exam stress, comparisons, and maids.

Children need to be shown what the priorities of life should be- it's not about the paper chase, not about the salary. They watch and observe their parents to decide what are the things that decide their self-worth/ value. They listen to what we say to measure their success. So what are the things that mater most? Are we sharing with them what they are, guiding them to see what the important things in life are?

I really felt sad after reading how a local parent described her kid's feelings after the PSLE papers this year - CONDEMNED.

See this excerpt from CNA's news report-

The first thing her son did when he came out from the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) Maths paper on Thursday this week was to gesture as if he was "slitting his throat".

"One look at his face and I thought ’oh no’. I could see that he felt he was condemned," said Mrs Karen Sng.


Condemnation is one key way Satan robs our kid. The joy of the LORD is our strength- that is what scripture says. When we feel guilty or condemned, we naturally feel sad, demoralized, depressed- the opposite of being full of joy and hope.

As parents, we must make sure we are not one of the factors leading to this condemnation, but that we are their source of encouragement and motivation, and that we point them to always turn their eyes upon Jesus and not just on the report card.

Of course it is good and wonderful if they do well, but what matters most is that they gave it their best shot. As they do the natural, God will do the supernatural! Our kids have the grace and favour of our LORD Jesus Christ- that cannot be earned. Looking back at what a basket case I was, and where He has carried me to despite all of my past, I know I can have the shalom that my kids too will come out great.

Why? Because Jer 29:11 promises that His thoughts to us are of GOOD not evil, and that He will keep us in His Shalom and bring us to an expected end. Our expected end is VICTORY because we are more than conquerors in Christ. So instead of tearing our kids down before and after an exam, let us build them up no matter what we see in the natural, we keep building and speaking over them and loving them so that His perfect will for them will manifest as our kids see what they are heirs to.

So that our children will prosper as their soul prospers... and that, I believe, is the shalom that the world cannot give! Shalom is that beautiful grace-filled revelation of His perfect love for us that will drive away every shred of fear and doubt and anxiety in their lives! Amen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES