A Lengthy Aud Lang Syne

As the year comes to a close, I am taking some time to look back at it with eyes wide open, rather than eyes wide shut.

Many of us are so driven by wanting more, we forget to thank God for what we've been given in our lives as well as the tragedies that might have been averted by Him. So I want to put my work aside for a minute to thank Him for the little things.

I thank God that my husband doesn't have wandering eyes and is what most men term a "market spoiler". He is a talented director; a caring, considerate, loyal, faithful, romantic, loving hubby and a real awesome dad to our 6 year old. I thank God for a real memorable and well-provisioned wedding in February and I trust our marriage into His care. I thank God that my husband loves my son very very much even though he is not his flesh and blood.

I thank God for my son and his precocious mind. I thank God that he is healthy, happy and that we have a close bond with each other. I thank God for his smile, his laughter and all the hugs he doles out to us - they never fail to warm our hearts when the going gets a little rough & tough.

I thank God for my parents - without them, where would I be? I mean they aren't perfect (neither am I) but I am grateful for them and I love them too. (Emo!)

I thank God that my in-laws and I get along and that Ian gets along with my parents. We don't have any of those drama mama hair-raising MIL DIL wars that you see a lot on TV. My MIL and SIL love Korean dramas so that helps bond us further haha. I am grateful for their love and support with regards to my son - I can see why my hubby turned out to be the gracious and loving man he is.

I thank God for being in a great church with biblically sound teachings, edifiying sermons and that has never failed to touch our hearts with the love of Christ more and more with each passing week.

I thank God for good girl friends (hang on guys). I've never been one to have real good gal pals as I used to be scared of what the female of the species is capable of - this despite being one myself. I grew up in a prestigious convent girls' school in Singapore and the eleven years there was pretty torturous for me. I thank God for female friends who share a similar walk with Christ - I know this might sound cheesy to some, but there is something wonderful about having Christ as the foundation stone of a friendship. The encouragement we give each other and the prayer support has really made a difference to my life. I am honoured whenever any of them shares with me their concerns and I am humbled that they allow me to share with them my troubles too. I thank God for Lydia (my very dear, very gorgeous and very gifted God-sis who has a talent for writing, songwriting, singing and telling the most leng men xiao hua ever), for Andrea (my prayer warrior sis who is one heck of a dancer), for Melissa (my youngest mei mei with the big voice) and last of all, Charmaine (my aircon- i am her heater. This one is born producer and a bagful of sunshine).

I thank God for guy friends (at last!) Ian and I basically have the same circle of friends - both male and female. I thank God for loyal male friends who are there for us and I am happy we can also be there for them in times of need. I thank God for their support, for being such fantastic buddies to Ian (and I) that we can sll talk tech, drink beer, eat good food and share weal & woe with. Thanks for always supporting, not judging; edifying, not criticizing. Thanks guys - Aaron, Kevin, Ling Hooi, Yew Mun, Ketan, Shah and the list goes on and on and on.

I thank God that friends that have drifted apart are still under His care and provision - I feel sad about the distance but I still love from afar. Misunderstandings are part and parcel of living in a fallen earth I guess, but I wish they weren't.

I thank God for new friends made in the blogosphere - Angie, Angela, Malcolm, Joo, Stanley, Jeffrey, CyberRanger. I thank God for all the sharings we've had and for walking together in Christ. Woohoo!

I thank God for an old friendship renewed - Cheryl or Yunshi (as I knew her in Sec School). It was amazing how God brought us together in the strangest way - no coincidences in Jesus. I'm just happy to be there for her.

I thank God for the perfect provision financially and in our careers. He has sent us amazing opportunities this year and in perfect timing. I also thank him for the numerous FREE movie tickets he kept sending our way - we prayed and He gave! Woohoo! I also thank Him for making everyone so generous at our wedding so that we had enough to go on our Korean honeymoon & then some!

I thank God for having a roof over our head that is provided for and a fridge choked full of groceries!

I thank God for the ability to cook (random!) and that my husband (and our friends) love the stuff I cook. The way to a man's heart is his stomach - partially true... I guess Ian would love even if I couldn't cook but that I can makes him treasure me even more! LOL!

I thank God for living in a nation that is blessed, protected and that doesn't get hit by natural disasters. I thank God for a stable political climate and whatever level of racial harmony we have enjoyed thus far.

I thank God for the gift of words and that He is my creativity. I used to think depression was the source of my creativity but thank God I don't think silly thoughts like that anymore. Yes my past hurts give a certain depth to my writing but I am thankful that I don't live in the past like I used to.

I thank God for the times my writings have touched hearts and brought healing in anyway. All those times - it wasn't me writing I know. I thank Him that He thinks enough of me to use me to love people for Him and to make me a "post-it" nite from Heaven.

I thank God for the encouragement He's sent me over the years - I once was lost but He found me!!!

There are so many things to thank Him for, but last of all, I thank Him that you read through this entry. May Christmas be more than shopping sprees and bargain hunting this year - may it be filled with a silent contemplation of how blessed you are rather than how much you lack...

We lack as much as we hunger; We are contented as much as we are thankful. May I be more thankful than I am hungry.

Comments

  1. Amen Geri.

    We are blessed not because we honour God.

    We honour God because we are blessed.(In Christ)Ep 1:3

    God is pleased not because we are righteous.

    Because we are righteous by faith,God is pleased.Rom 4:5

    We give not to freely receive.

    Because we have freely received, we give.Mtt 10:8

    We love not to be loved.

    We love because we are loved.( He first loved us)1 Jn 4:19

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff

    You should start a booklet of "quotable quotes"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff

    You should start a booklet of "quotable quotes"...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES