Pots of Soup and thoughts of love

Heb 12:14, 15 - "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled..."

For years I struggled with getting along with my mother and even today, I still struggle. The difference is in the past I struggled to be at strife with her because I had expectations of her that I wanted her to meet just as she had expectations of me that she wanted me to meet. Today, I simply struggle to be at peace with her, knowing she is not perfect and neither am I.

We still argue sometimes and raise our voices at each other sometimes, but it has become easier over time. I try my best but it is not my trying Jesus wants... it is my letting go and letting Him take control of our relationship and the conversations we have.

It is my hope that as we find a peaceful and friendlier way to communicate that we are able to share better and that she is able to see the LORD better. My Mum might be a Roman Catholic but she has had difficulties understanding the gospel as well as why Christ died on the cross and what for.

We've got a "root of bitterness" from over the years that requires plucking out. And honestly, we've neither the wisdom nor strength to uproot it - only Christ has.

Whenever the root resurfaces during a heated conversation, it 'defiles' our thoughts with anger and the lies of the enemy as well as causes us to speak hurtful words that 'defiles' us further. It causes us trouble that way.

When a pot of soup has been sitting for a while, the stuff in it settles and it seems clear, You can see all the ingredients. BUT when the pot is stirred, the particles come floating up and the soup becomes murky. The ingredients get lost in the murkiness. Similarly, the enemy is always happy to stir your pot, cloud your thoughts and cause you to forget whose you are and cause you to lose your focus in the victory won at the Cross by Christ by using trials and tribulations to work your anxiety levels up.

The best way thus is that when the conversation is heating up, walk away and cool off first. Let your emotions settle down and let your thoughts be clarified through some quiet time and prayer before you speak to the person again - remembering that although you can't control how the other acts/reacts, you can control your reaction and hold it captive in the LORD's shalom.

I am still learning every day to be a daughter just as my mother is learning everyday to be a mother. I am also learning to be a mother and understanding the heart of my parents and my Heavenly Daddy better.

It is for me as Joyce Meyer once said in her writings - God graciously revealed to me, through the Holy Spirit, His love for me personally. That single revelation has changed my entire life and my walk with Him. =)

Jesus loves me this I know and I remain secure in that knowledge =D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES