Tots on having a heart for the youth by a youth

Recently thinking about all the lost youths and I am not just talking about the kids, the tweens or the teens... I am talking about youths age 20-30.

I just went for a fellowship on Saturday where we shared on a topic that asked "What is our heart for the Youth of today?" Each one was encouraged to rate on a scale of 1-10 their passion for the next generation.

I think it was interesting that a view raised was that it is easier to love the little ones, but harder to love the older kids coz they are a difficult bunch and can be so trying. <>

For me, my view is different I guess? I feel the youths must be edified, uplifted and loved regardless their age group. When they are little, it is good to keep letting them know Jesus loves them and how - that will be a firm foundation they can return to and explore. When the are older, that's when the questions come... cmon be honest, when we were youths we asked the SAME questions too. And none of us were total angels (cept perhaps my hubby whose parents forever boast on how their cane collected dust when Ian came into this world. LMAO.) So what was it we sought after at that age? A recognition that youths are humans with feelings, thoughts and opinions that should be given some respect and space for discussion, not gunned down rightaway. =) We need to empower them with the knowledge and experience which we stumbled upon so that they won't too be stumbled, but instead have stepping stones to walk up on.

I admit I was DARK when I was young and you know it is interesting how God uses broken vessels so that His light shines brightly through their lives.

Let's see... I obviously had pre-marital sex (as you all know I was once a single mum) and I highly don't recommend you have sex before marrying. I was also once self-mutilating (some decade ago?), I was song sung blue - very blue. I was also very sarcastic, rude, cynical and quietly rebellious... my Mum should agree with this last bit =)

Had it not been for a constant relationship with Jesus even when I left church and even during the darkest parts of my life, this fishing boat might have capsized a long time ago. Thank God also for the many "post-it" notes from God that I encountered through my life - people who've edified me and directed my gaze back to the empty cross - empty because Christ had already won the victory! He's no longer nailed there. He has gone through breaking point for us and redeemed us AMEN!

And I was once suicidal as a young 15-er... I feel sad when youths throw away their lives because they have been too coddled, too confused, too hurt and too alone. Their attempting suicide in anyway is a reflection of why youths today need our listening ears, shoulders to lean on and an open mind for communicating with us.

So I do have a particular soft spot for the youths... I am one myself haha.

On ROCKing it out-

Whilst some of the more conservative ones will de-cry Rock, there are groups that use ROCK to shout to the LORD and to create edifying or "wake up y'all" sort of songs. One of them is POD. It is easy to dismiss the culture that youths enjoy exploring, but POD harnesses it instead so they can do what they love (ROCK IT OUT HEAVY) with Who they love (Jesus)!

Anyway I think POD did a great job talking about all the stuff that have the potential to become strongholds in their song and why they have that hold over people in "Addicted". The imagery is that of the myriad addictions the devil holds out to people to tempt and destroy them. I also super love the song I posted up in the earlier post - that one had heart wrenching lyrics.




Intoxicated world, boys and girls.
Fill me up, but not the hint of self mutilation.
And let me blow my brains, go insane.
Throw it in my face, and watch me chase it.
Stimulate, wide awake, need to stop this pain inside my head, cause it's laughing at me.
Injection, explosion, burning as it surges through my vein.

Cause I, I'm Addicted,
To all the colors that I see, that you hold in front of me.
And you have changed, yeah you have changed me.
Why do I love you when I know, love you when I know,
Your wrong.

Over and over-indulges in anyone or anything that makes you feel so alive.
I am electrified, I'm so high, known to all of you, who are just out to get me.
Fascinate, magic state, cast a spell and maybe I might forget who I am.
Cowardice, selfishness, thank you for letting us watch you die.

Because I, I'm Addicted,
To all the colors that I see, that you hold in front of me.
And you have changed, yeah you have changed me.
Why do I love you when I know, love you when I know.

That I, I'm Addicted,
To all the colors that I see, that you hold in front of me.
You have changed, yeah you have changed me.
Why do I love you when I know, I love you when I know,
Your wrong.

Liar! You are a liar!
Liar! You are a liar!

Because I, I'm Addicted,
To all the colors that I see, that you hold in front of me.
And you have changed, yeah you have changed me.
Why do I love you when I know, love you when I know.

That I, I'm Addicted,
To all the colors that I see, that you hold in front of me.
You have changed, yeah you have changed me.
Why do I love you when I know, I love you when I know,
Your wrong.

Comments

  1. What would you say about youths who seem aimless, lethargic, lazy and unwilling to learn? What to do about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I'd address the parents- I would say I was just like that when I was younger and hey I turned out okay? So as a parent, there is no need to be over anxious if we trust that the Holy Spirit teaches our kids all things and that God will turn around very thing meant to our stumble our kids into good. God is no respector of persons y'know?

    Now about the youths who SEEM aimless, lethargic, lazy and unwilling to learn, they are also seeking something the world cannot satisfy.

    The reason why they seem the way they do is because they have not come across anything that could compel them and lead them to lead a meaning-filled, passionate life.

    It doesn't mean that they will remain in this state forever, but that the same God who had to take time to mould us for the future He has prepared for us, is doing the same with them.

    As parents we need to be patient, to trust in our faithful God, to love them regardless of how unlovely they are, to be firm but not legalistic, to be open to communication without being judgemental. I think youths at that stage of lalang-ness are lost and no matter of condemning them, yelling at them or going ballistic at them will help them be found.

    Instead it might push them further in the wilderness.

    I'd say it is good to take them out to mission trips; to let them try their hands at what might seem to be their area of interest be it music, arts, writing, sports, an ambition; to go for cooking classes with them, or engage them in some manner and bond with them.

    To be able to transform them and have them open up to us, we must first be friends with them and give them a certain level of trust and respect... To discipline their wrong doings without being negative to them.

    I've seen parents call their kids stupid, idiot, dumb dumb and other degrading names whilst scolding them - these tear down relationships rather than build them up. Their punishments are meant to humiliate rather than to impart values.

    We need to be patient with these youths. When I was making the arches for my wedding, it took MONTHS of slowly bending the arches, adjusting them and letting them bake in the Sun (even endure the elements) before it was ready to serve its purpose at my wedding.

    Similarly, we cannot expect them to change overnight. We need to be patient, to be loving, to try to be gracious and unconditional, to be firm and not pushovers without becoming abusive, antagonising bullies. We need to discipline their mistakes without making them feel judged or unloved. We need to make TIME for them and be open when we talk to them to build a relationship with them. Then, slowly there can be a change.

    We need to also give them the space to learn, to make mistakes...

    I like what my friend posted today on FB: Success is the result of good judgement. Good judgement is the result of experience. Experience is the result of bad judgement.

    Many would admit I led an eventful life- I took longer than some to learn some lessons, to change my heart attitude and to embrace grace... but I came to only know and appreciate grace after being in the wilderness, and now that I am in grace, I am joyfully walking out that grace each and every day.

    Let us not give up too easily on the youth, or be too quick to condemn, judge, pigeonhole them or decide if they can or cannot make it... we just plant seeds faithfully, water them, fertilise and wait. The one who makes them grow is GOD not our efforts. But we need to reach out to them for Him as gardeners, trusting it is the SON that shines brightly on them and brings about growth and renewal. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES