Recalling Geri at 17...

I am going to be 29 come April but it seems not too long ago that I was an emotional 17 year old with too much hormones to handle.

I was immature but I thought I was mature, lost but thought I was chilling... I thought I knew everything at 17.

So when I look at the teenagers around me or hear their wisecrack, I remember - It wasn't too long ago that I thought I was some streetwise smart aleck. Though I was sorta, I still had so much to learn and I still do!

Everyday is a new learning experience - be it a major or minor one. Each day I learn to admit that I am weak so that He can be strong for me. I learn that if I keep trying to bear the weight of the world on my shoulders, I am just asking to be squashed.

What a difference passing time makes in the way we see life, taste it and live it.

At 17, I'd dated close to 20 guys (gasp). At 17, I was struggling with depression. At 17, I wanted to be close to Jesus and yet run away from Him - I had guilt/condemnation issues that ran deep into my childhood.

I wouldn't trade the brokeness I had then though for the world, because those little chips and imperfections that came about from those horrible teenage years have made me into a stronger person. Thank goodness that God blesses our broken roads, blesses us despite all the stupid choices we make so that even if we wander far off, there is an escape hatch from the craziness of this world.

Where is it?

It is in that quiet morning breeze as you stand by the bedroom window, musing about life and what it's made up of. That breeze whispers good morning, tells you today can be a better day, reminds you that He is there for you - all you have to do is to drop Him a knee-mail and to spend quiet time in His embrace.

I've learned that spending quiet time is so crucial to remaining whole, to being able to discern the myriad situations this fallen world puts us through.

Geri at 17 was like that runaway kid who wanted love, who felt misunderstood, who fell into a trench, who was left in the dark... stubbornly navigating the great outside without a map or a guide.

Geri at 28 going on 29 feels more secure, more loved, more in the Light as she grows in her spiritual walk with Christ simply because she chose to go Home to Her Abba Daddy, to ask the Holy Spirit to guide her, to take the hands of Jesus day-by-day.

Geri today is highly favoured, deeply loved and greatly blessed! =D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES