Before n After Grace

Waiting in the bank queue right now and witnessed a little drama. An elderly man was ranting at a staff member and demanding to speak to the manager. He was angry and yelling loudly. The lady serving him is a very good staff member. She has served me before and is polite, very helpful and efficient. As he walked away to talk to the manager, he said, "Everytimeh I come here, I lose my temper." A part me wonders if the bank or his personal view on life is precisely what's making him miserable.

I have met many people with short fuses and who always refuse to apologise. Most of them blame the world for everything, and even God, but don't see how their attitude during a trying time affects their overall experience. Keeping a joyful heart makes a huge difference. It's in this state of Shalom- where the devil just can't ruffle your feathers- that you find quiet strength in the Holy Spirit to press on ahead.

As I watched the man, it was a reminder for me too to keep my attitude in check. This is not legalism but simple discipline. By bridling my tongue and discipline my thoughts I find that I have grown more joyful over the years. It's an ongoing process of growth and prospering in the soul, but as it happens, I see how the rest of my life prospers too. Prosper, according to the dictionary, means successful, victorious, thriving. Prosperity is not a dirty word as some modern day Pharisees will have you think it is. It does appear in the bible. Use an online concordance to check it's appearance out. ;) It's not wrong to ask God to prosper you. In fact He wants you to boldly ask for it and walk it out.

Comments

  1. Amen! As PP said, no one can "make" us get angry. It is up to us whether to respond in anger or to let go. Is it easy to let go? No and I am trying every day. I am not there yet but I believe that with His Grace, I will get there soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES