Knowing WHOSE you are

During the Holy Communion on Sunday, Pastor Gabriel (Pastor Gabriel was the pastor who married Ian and I in late February this year) said something - "Our security is not in who we are, but in whose we are."

I felt his statement above was particularly important to bear in mind and I have been reflecting over it deeply over the last few days.

I looked at me in the past, and compared it to where I am today: -

Once I wanted to be a fashion designer, then I became a producer, now I am a writer.

Once I was a dark and melancholic soul; now I am a cheerful and positive person.

Once I was Miss Geraldine Tan; now I am Mrs. Ian Wee

Once I was a girl; today I am a mother.

Once I was a Roman Catholic under the legalistic rituals of the Vatican; now I am Christian and a lover of the Scriptures and the truth in them (Sola Scriptura!)

Once I didn't dare to hope; now I am a prisoner of hope... I am always expecting the good things of the LORD! =D

So how do we define who we are? It is always changing.

"Who we are" changes all the time... "Whose we are" is constant forever and ever!

If we try to find our identity and reassurance in who we are, we will never find stability in our body, mind and spirit. We will always be trying based on our own abilities and our own knowledge to get where we want to go, be where we want to be - not knowing if that is where we should be or what we should be doing at all.

I used to be concerned about who I am... I was concerned about the tags that the world gave me. Whether I was liked or not bothered me even though I tried to act like it didn't. I used to wonder if I was more like my Mum or more like my Dad. I wondered about what I would grow up to be like... successful or not?

It is only when we come to know and acknowledge our true identities as the Sons and Daughters of our Heavenly Father, the precious redeemed of Christ, the heirs to the promises made to Abraham that we can truly lift our heads up, live our lives to the full and walk confidently on firm foundation.

If we surrender ourselves to the potter, we can be sure He will mould us to be exactly what He envisions for us since we were in our mothers' wombs. He will craft us with great care and love.

"The Lord has called me from the womb; from the body of my mother He has named me. He has made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of His hand has He hid me and made me a polished arrow."

I am glad I am a polished arrow of God, meant to hit the mark time and time again - not by my own efforts but through His grace!

Comments

  1. I like Stormie Omartian's books too!
    Have you seen her great videos?
    I found some of Stormie's video previews here:

    http://www.stormieomartianvideos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES