Lack of Original Thought

National Day is coming and I've put up my Singapore flag with pride. Ian was surprised that I had got one. I love my country. I don't agree with everything about it but I love it regardless. It is home. I know Ian agrees with me on that... he might have had probs remembering when National Day is but he too feels for the country.

So I was reading the ST Forum today when something caught my eye that shocked me...
Our NDP video this year copied a scene from an award winning Japanese ad!! =(

OH MAN - MALU!

As I watched the video, I was shaking my head like an Ah Lian high on techno.

Is there no original thought left in our local media productions? This is our once-a-year NDP music video - shouldn't greater care and pride be placed into its creation?

Despite the govt's repeated call for Singaporeans to respect local IP rights, it is sad that someone somewhere gave the greenlight for this copycat video concept. Perhaps he/she didn't know about the ad (and I seriously doubt this)... but still... *shakes head once more*.

I also feel that the concept was not as strong despite all the copying. =p It just didn't tug at my jingoistic heart strings.

My fav NDP songs are still "Home" and "We Are Singapore". The MV for "Home" was simply shot but it captured the hearts of people with it simplicity... plus those super meaningful lyrics makes me reach out for my kleenex. The song meant so much to me esp when I studied overseas. "We are Singapore" never fails to remind me that our country triumphed through all sorts of impossible challenges to be where she is today... it kinda inspires me to "never say die" also. (Esp since I am in Christ!!)

Ok I leave you now to compare for yourself the orig and the copycat videos .

That brilliant Jap Ad:



The not so brilliant NDP Music Video:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES