Personal Reflections after The Dark Knight and on Spiritual Warfare

" The LORD is my shepherd, and nothing shall I want." - Psalm 23

God is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night, just close to finishing up my scriptwriting work, Ian dropped me a line to tell me we got free movie tickets (yes again! praise you Jesus!!) to the gala premiere of The Dark Knight!!

Ian and I had been feeling the pinch of buying movie tickets earlier this year with the rising price of tickets and all... and we confessed that Daddy will provide and has He provided!! We've hardly bought tickets since that prayer as He has flooded us with free tickets after free tickets... Thank you Jesus so very much. HUGS!!!!!!!! Please keep those tickets coming my Abba, my Daddy God! =D

A crucial note for parents - The Dark Knight imho is not for kids. Kae's been looking forward to watching it, but Ian and I do not want to take him for it. Not appropriate for his age. There is quite a bit of violence and disturbing images for the little ones.


Don't worry... no spoilers in my post. I respect every viewer's desire to be surprised by the show. I hate spoilers myself lol.

The two and a half hour show is as dark as its title, but very brilliantly written and the performance by the stellar cast is fantastic. I agree with Ian that Christopher Nolan is a super talented writer and director. This gets 5/5 for me. I was visually and intellectually satisfied. =D Lol.

I agree with Ong Sor Fern that the show was a greek tragedy dressed up in a superhero costume. The emotional trip each character experiences is portrayed so well. From Rachel, to Gordon, Dent, Joker, Fox, Batman-Bruce Wayne and even Alfred... each character's journey was well crafted with much thought. This is a super hero flick that is more intelligent and less corny and biff bam wham. It even makes you think deeper on how reel life mirrors real life.

I will not spoil it for you by talking about the plot here... but as the lights came on and the credits rolled, I felt my eyes welling up with tears - the pooling puddles were for Ledger. Heath Ledger was so brilliant as the Joker. His interpretation of the villian had so much depth - psychologically, socially and physically. Watching him on screen was mersmerizing but sadly, it also felt like I was watching a shooting star burning at its brightest just before it fades away into the darkness.

Heath Ledger was so young and so brilliant... and so lost. Sighs.

I know Chris Nolan has denied that the role had led to Ledger's death. But as a Christian, I am not so convinced. I understand spiritual warfare. It is real. It is more real than Gotham City for one or the Dark Knight. I feel Ledger had been spiritually attacked. Laugh at me if you want. Call me a cookie. But I stick to my words about this issue... =(

Method acting sees actors delving deep into the characters they play - trying to put themselves into the mind, soul, spirit of their characters, so they can convincingly portray the character down to their psychological make up and background.

As a writer, I sometimes do that too. =p When I come up with a character I have to figure that character's history, his psychological make up and why he does what he does. I have to know how each character of my story will think and speak.

Perhaps Joker's inner demons affected Ledger deeper than we know. Ledger might have gone so deep into it, he found it hard to get out. I don't doubt he is a great actor but one can always be waving but drowning. Winning a spiritual battle is not about how good an actor you are or how smart you are in this case. It depends on knowing who you are in Christ and running to hide under the shadow of His wings. Spiritual battles cannot be fought with worldy weapons of the flesh. It runs deeper than that.

imho Even Ledger's marriage failure was part of a spiritual attack... A stable family - a supportive wife and loving kids that ground you - is precisely what the devil hates. He wants us to be alone because alone we break easily. That is why the bible talks about why it is good for two people to get together. So that when one falls, the other can pick him/her up. That is why people always say - when God wants to bless someone, he sends him/her a person.

I know the people of the world like to attribute things to the natural world, to fate... but there is a greater spiritual battle under the battle of the flesh. It goes into the realm of the unseen. There is always a desire by the enemy to reel us in by turning circumstances in life against people, by finding loopholes in people's belief system and using it against them.

As Christians we should be less naive and to arm ourselves with the Scriptural promises - confessing blessings over ourselves and encamping the angels around us through prayer. To position these ministering angels ahead of us and to consecrate all we do to the blessing of Christ.


In the bible God says that His people are destroyed for lack of knowledge... and we are not talking about being worldly smart but spiritually wise... being knowledgeable about the Word of God and His promises - It is written that He has commanded His blessings over us. How many of us claim those blessings?

I always hear people go "Ya it is in the family's genes to suffer from (name ailment of your choice.) Must be careful ah." Or "Grow old is like that one lor... here pain there pain." Why do we confess those lies over ourselves instead of the Word of God - that by His stripes we are healed and that we have the youth of the Eagles?! We allow the devil to gum us to death too easily with negative confessions. This is not psychological. This is spiritual. When we confess negative it gives no glory to God, in fact we are rejecting His blessings over us and remember, we have free will. God cannot force blessings over us. Too many of us, according to the bible, do not receive because we do not ask. What are you asking for in the way you speak over your circumstances???

Spiritual warfare is darker and more real than the battle between the Big Black Bat and his myriad villians. It is important to know who we are in Christ and abide in His Light at all times.
Again, for outside circumstances to change, it is important for a heart change and a change in what your tongue speaks over your life.

Comments

  1. Hi Geri,

    I'm glad you liked Batman. I've yet to catch it but when I do, hopefully right after my own Charity Film Event... haha, it will be for Heath.

    He is one actor I've admired for a long time. And to my great disappointment, the press has never or seldom talked about one of his greatest works for Australia. In the film Ned Kelly. He plays the famous Irish outlaw in Aus, alongside Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush. A very good film I would like to recommend to you should if you haven’t caught it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277941/

    Cheers,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Angie!

    I might have watched Ned Kelly once. I have quite a holey memory some times... I can watch the same film twice and still feel excited because I sadly fail to retain the storyline in my mind sometimes. A bit like Dory in Finding Nemo. Haha. My hubby is always so amused by that thing about me haha.

    Heath... I was so shocked and saddened by news of his death, and watching him in Batman was such a poignant moment for me. He got better with every role he played. I hope he knew Christ and was saved already. Was he a Christian?

    End note - I know this sounds funny but recently I've been contacted by 3 different Angies on my blog and facebook!! God works in mysterious ways!

    I told my hubby this morning and my hubby said that Abba is always sending Angels to be around me... so to all the friends I have called Angie, that are reading this now, thank you for being the Angels in my life. =D

    Glad I've come to find a friend in you and I've been blessed to have come to know you.

    Love,
    Geri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES