A writer's struggle.

There are days where as a writer i struggle and feel torn between writing a fictitious storyline for a script, and whether it might cross swords with my beliefs as a Christian.

You see, someone put this best - all good stories are born from tragedies. Even the best comedies are born from a tragedy of personality or circumstances. The characters must struggle with an issue so that from these cracked jars of clays, light can illuminate the area and objects around them.

Having said that I still try to be selective - I am trying to write stories with a subtle unspoken central lesson. I am avoiding hantu stories and stories with evil spirits and witchcraft. I've written for Incredible Tales before and seeing how people are so fear-filled after watching them, I've decided no more, no more. Pls lor I was scared even as i wrote those horror stories at night. I made Ian stay up with me as I wrote those scripts hahaha.

I am focusing instead on the human psychology and emotions. And I hope that in the pay off, it makes people think hard about the choices they make in their lives.

I hope that even if the endings are sad, that they will see how an alternative choice by the protagonist could have made a big difference. I hope that the subtext will speak out louder than the context. I think what is left unsaid impacts people more sometimes.

I guess this struggle is something all of us face - how do we work in the secular world whilst retaining our integrity and walk in Christ.

Food for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES