You're Closer Than You Think (Pt 1) - Joel Osteen

(Phew... had a tough time today coz the internet connection went wonky. But I've finally managed to put this up despite it all. I'd done this in the morning actually. ENJOY! =D)

You're Closer Than You Think (Pt 1) - Joel Osteen

I like to start with something funny each week.

I heard about this police recruit. He was taking his final exam. He was in the front of this big classroom and the sergeant asked him, "What would you do if you had to arrest your own MIL?"

Without missing a beat, he said, "Call for backup."

Alright. Hold up your bible. Say it like you mean it -

“This is my bible I am what it says I am, I have what it says I have, I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive, I will never be the same. In Jesus’s name.”

God bless you.

I want to talk to you today about staying full of hope. God has put dreams and desires into everyone of our hearts. We all have goals we want to accomplish, situations we believe will turn around. But so often when it has taken a long time and things are not working out, it is easy to lose our enthusiasm.

Now that’s when the negative thoughts come, saying it is never gonna change. You’re never gonna get well. You’re never gonna get out of debt. That child is never gonna straighten up. If we’re not careful we’ll get discouraged and we’ll end up just settling where we are.

Many times we miss out on God’s best because we gave up too soon. We didn’t realise how close we were to our victory. Just another few days of believing, another few weeks of doing the right thing, or another few months of staying in faith and we would see that promise come to pass.

Some of you right now, you’re on the verge of seeing a major victory, you are so close to seeing that situation turn around. That answer you’d been praying about? It’s just right around the corner. You can’t afford to get discouraged. You can’t afford to give up now.

That’s what the Scripture says in Hebrews 10:35 -

“Do not cast away your confidence for it will be richly rewarded.”

That’s saying if we will stay in faith, if we will keep believing, keep hoping, keep doing the right thing, God promises there will be a reward.

One translation says -

“Don’t get discouraged payday is coming.”

When you’re tempted to get down, things are not going your way, you need to keep telling yourself- “This may be hard, it may be taking a long time but I know God is a faithful God. I’m gonna keep believing, knowing that my payday is on its way.”

And one thing I’ve learned is whenever it gets difficult, and it seems like the intensity has been turned up, that’s a sign you are close to your victory.

When those lies are bombarding your mind, you’re tempted to get discouraged, you feel like throwing in the towel, you know that’s not the time to give up. That’s not the time to back down. That’s the time to dig your heels in. Put on a new attitude. You are close to your victory.

Now I know some of you have got a lot of things coming against you, seems like the more you pray the worst it gets, you’re doing the right thing but the wrong thing’s happening. Maybe you’re treating someone kind and respectful, but they’re being discourteous back to you.

The easy thing is to say “Forget it. I don’t have to put up with this. This marriage is never gonna work. I’ll never be able to raise this child or I don’t like this job.” You know instead of getting discouraged, instead of going around all sour, you need to have the attitude - “I’ve come too far to stop now. I’ve been through too much to back down. I realise the reason the intensity has been turned up is because I’m about to give birth to my dreams.”

I talked to a couple just last week. They told about how their son had gotten on the wrong course- He was running with the wrong crowd; Had some addictions he had to overcome. They were doing everything they could to help him. They found him a new place to live away from his old friends, they got him involved with a support group, they were praying more than ever, but they said, “Joel, it seems like the more we pray, the more we try, the more we believe, the worse he gets.”

They were so concerned. But I told them what I’m telling you - “The reason the intensity has been turned up is because you’re close to your victory. The enemy would not be fighting him so hard if he didn’t already know he was about to lose his grip on him. If you will keep believing, keep hoping, keep doing the right thing, before long he’ll give that final push and you’ll see the situation turn around. You’ll see that promise come to pass.”

It’s just like a woman who is having a baby, the first month or two it’s not that difficult, it’s no big deal. She looks and feels just the same. But then in a few months she starts to gain the weight, she has to carry around the extra pounds, her feet may swell up, her back may hurt… she may have some nausea, some morning sickness. By the 8th or 9th month, husbands you know you’d better give that woman some space- don’t mess with Mama, don’t back talk her, just do what she says and nobody will get hurt. It gets more and more uncomfortable. But then when her water breaks, and she goes into labour, all those other troubles seem insignificant compared to the difficulty of giving birth.

I remember when Victoria was in labour with our first child, our son Jonathan, she was holding on to my arm right here, so tight and when she’d have a contraction she would squeeze my arm. She would scream and I would scream. I wanted to tell her that she was hurting me but I feared for my life.

But the truth be known if a woman is in labour, if she had a choice she’d probably say “I don’t wanna do this anymore. It’s too difficult. I can’t stand it.” But no she don’t have a choice. The doctor, the nurse, the husband keeps saying, “PUSH! PUSH! PUSH!” Before long, she pushes that baby out. And in a few minutes she forgets all about the pain because she is holding the promise. She’s holding the little child. And really, it is the same principle in life.

It is the same principle in life - the greatest difficulty is right before the birth.

Before we see a new level of God’s favour, don’t be surprised if things come against you to discourage you. People try to talk you out of your dreams, to convince you to settle where you are.

Some of you right now, you don’t realise it, but you are in labour. You’re about to give birth to what God’s put in your heart. That’s why it is such a struggle - you are in that final push.

Maybe at work you’re doing the right thing, going that extra mile, but you got passed over for that promotion. It wasn’t fair. What was that? A labour pain. Just push through it.

Maybe you wanted to start that new business but your partner backed out. The financing didn’t come true. What was that? Another labour pain. If you’ll keep pushing, keep believing, keep hoping, before long, like that woman, you’re gonna push that promise out.

I know some of you today, you feel like you’ve never had such a struggle. Maybe in your finances, or in your health, or in your relationships you can say, “Joel, this is the greatest attack I’ve ever faced.” But instead of getting down and thinking ‘poor ol’ me’, learn to turn it around and say, “Yes this is the greatest attack I’ve ever been through, but I know that means that I am headed for the greatest victory I’ve ever seen.

Remember it’s always darkest right before the dawn, you’re about to give birth to that promise.

Comments

  1. Thank you friend for the backup and I needed that. Ya i'm just right around the corner and can’t afford to get discouraged and can’t afford to give up now. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the sermon touched you and edified you.

    I will put the rest of it up by Friday or so. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES