The Equation is not Church (Leaders) = God... =p

"Let me tell you a little about my background. As a small child, I used to speak to and hear from God, singing, and talking to Him as I ran down the deer trails in northern Minnesota. My communication with God was good, until there were a series of incidents in the church that caused me to rebel against God. You see, I believed that the church represented God. As time elapsed, I drew closer to the Lord and I began to ask convicting questions – the kind that make some ministers nervous when persistent little kids ask honest questions. There soon came a time when I was rejected by the church. When they rejected me, I felt God had rejected me and I blamed God. It was then that I decided I was not going to have anything more to do with the things of God. I became intensely angry and rebellious."
- Carl Fox in "Turning Curses to Blessings"

When I read this passage from Carl Fox's book, I felt I could relate to it.

(Some changes because I think I am being misunderstood here lol)

I used to see the equation as Church Leaders ie Pope ie Priests = God.

Like Carl, my church rejected me. I was kicked out of the Youth Group because I questioned the authority of the priest and the accuracy of the Catholic doctrine. I was their black sheep and because I was a worship leader who questioned the Priest in charge of the group, he had always wanted to kick me out. He always hinted at it.

One day, he plucked the most ridiculous reasons and unfair reasons out of thin air to persecute me... and he booted me out. When he did that he stumbled not just me, but my family.

Church leaders are only human and it is important that we keep our eyes on Jesus and not on the church leaders.

Discernment is key here. =)

Many friends I know have drifted away from Jesus because these False Teachers (I call them false because what they teach is NOT what the bible speaks about) hides the beauty of Christ from them.

All they see is God is petty and vengeful and hard hearted... the veil of the Law masks the grace of the New Testament in the sermons they have heard from young.

They pretty much feel that they have got Christ figured out by the time they hit adulthood - and it is a Christ that has been defamed and marred by rubbish teachings... they refuse to look at the true picture of Christ because they think they have already seen it and seen enough of it.

This is the story I see in the eyes of my aunts, uncles, cousins, friends... who have decided that the Law of Moses and the OT is not what they want to live under, so they dabble in New Age-ism and other pagan religions - not knowing that there is another option... to live under the Gospel of Grace which is the Gospel of the New Testament which is the true Gospel of Christ.

I read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John but skipped the letters and Acts of the Apostles to go straight to Revelations as a child. That was my knowledge of NT.

Now I know, that grace was revealed in those bits I skipped. The New Covenant Jesus made with us is only truly taught in Acts and the letters. The Gospels were oft times addressed to the Jews and Jesus could not teach grace until after His death. He still referred to the Law because the Jews were under the law... but He had already hinted at a better covenant that was coming.

After seeing Grace in the NT, it becomes easier to see it reflected in the OT.

But to see these requires us to take the time to abide in Christ... to give Him a chance to talk to us, to love us, to convince us.

Many lost ones don't give Him the time of day any more.

Isaiah put it this way - "They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds are closed so they cannot understand." - Isaiah 44:18

Let us keep the lost ones in our prayers that they may come to open their minds and hearts to Jesus so He can remove the scales from their eyes.

It will be a struggle for some of them. I know. I struggled against it for years... I look back and feel sheeeeeepish...

Thank God for a patient Good Shepherd who didn't let me remain lost for too long.

May His shepherd staff and rod protect and guide the other lost ones home to His arms. Amen?

So IMHO it is not Church leaders + legalism = God...

It is Grace = Jesus = Tender Mercies = Unconditional Love = God = My Heavenly Daddy =D

Comments

  1. Bible says, God is love :)
    As we know, the church is not a building, or a denomination. Biblically speaking, the church is the Body of Christ - all those who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cyberanger... amen =)

    Yes we should be a united body of Christ... as the Church.

    Just like we say "a house without love is not a home", a church without knowledge of the grace of Christ is just an empty building. That's what I am talking about in my post.

    NOT the church ie the body of Christ... but the building and leaders who don't reflect His grace.

    U know what i mean lah... grins =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is only one body of Christ.We,the local church is just part of the body of Christ.
    In order to change the world's concept of Christianity,we need to change the church concept about God.

    That He's not a God that will allow us to lose our salvation at a drop of a hat.That He's not a Father Who always find fault with us.

    That's why God knows we need a Gospel revolution.The Gospel that we are not ashamed of.THE power of God unto salvation for whoever shall believe!For in it the righteousness of God(not man)is revealed from faith to faith.Not Faith to works.Rom 1:16-17

    The Gospel (Good News) that speaks of the ABUNDANCE of His grace and GIFT of righteousness !

    The Gospel (Good News) that preach about Christ and Him crucified (His finished work) not preach about man and what he must do (law)

    A Gospel that exalts Christ and His work not man and his institution !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES