I'd choose praise over cursing any time... (another study in seeing God's Word in the Chinese Language)

讚 (zan - Praise) = 言 (yan - words, speak) + 贊 (zan - assist, edify)

Call this a long shot but it won't bother me hehe - It encourages me to think that when I praise God, even when if I am caught in a "storm", by repeating His promises for me that is written in His Word, I am speaking words of faith that, when I hear, helps me have more faith and edifies/encourages me.

Praising His holy name definitely beats mumbling, grumbling, cursing & swearing. =)

It's interesting how (ma) which means "to scold, abuse, swear" has the mandarin word for "net" on top of it (wang). It traps you in its net of condemnation. I remind myself to control my temper because the way I see it, a person is as swift as a horse ( - ma) to open his/her mouth carelessly to speak words that kill and not edify, can be prepared to be caught in the enemy's trap.

Interestingly, the word for sin in mandarin, (zui), also has the mandarin word for "net" on top of it (wang). The net of sin catches someone as he does his wrongdoing and appoints blame and condemnation to him/her. (fei) means evildoing, to blame, to censure.

In Ephesians 5 and Colossians 3, Paul instructs us Christians to speak, teach and encourage each other, specifically by using “psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.”

Bring out the songs of praise! (^.^)v He is worthy to be praised. AMEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES