Names are they prophetic?

I am not superstitious and I am not looking at names the superstitious Chinese way of counting strokes and numerology kind of nonsense... yes, that's abject nonsense. Our life is not ruled over by these superstitious laws but by the grace of God through Christ Jesus. Amen.

It is just that as I read the bible, I see how names are prophetic in the bible.

God even changed the names of characters in the bible and in doing so, changed their personalities and their destinies...

So are names prophetic? I feel that it definitely is so.

For this post, I have decided that I am going to have a look at our names. By "our", I mean Ian, Kae and myself.

ANG MOR


Geraldine
means "mighty with a spear" or some Christian books say it means "appointed by God". Maybe this is why I feel like Xena the warrior sometimes ha ha because of the first meaning. I prefer the second one which you can find carved on wood plaques and printed on magnets.

I must admit I am tempted to officially change it to Geri to mean shortform not of Geraldine but of Jeremiah - "God will uplift". I have always called myself Geri from young and spelt it this way before the Spice Girls - thank you. =)

My middle name is Shalom now. Interestingly, it used to be Adrienne for most of my teen years (since 14 years old where my depression began to grow rapidly out of hand). Adrienne means "dark or shadow". =p I chose it very unwisely...

Shalom (I know a few friends with this beautiful middle name) which I have adopted after my baptism in Christ means whole, not broken, nothing missing, peace, content, etc. =) It is my declaration of Jesus's victory over my life. Hallelujah!

Ian's name befits his gentle soul too. Ian is a form of the name John. His name means "God's gracious gift" - and my hubby is indeed God's gracious gift to both Kaelen and myself. I am sure his family agrees that he is a wonderful man filled with God's grace and a true gift to all of our lives.

Kaelen, apparently is another form of Kellen", which means "mighty warrior"... or if broken into Kae and Len it can mean - Rejoicer (Kae) & brave as a lion (Len) =D I did not know that when I named my son Kaelen - I just knew it was his name. I had never heard of it prior to naming my son that.

And Kae is precisely this - a bundle of joy and rejoicing with a brave heart like David when he was pit against Goliath. =)

Kae's middle name, Michael, means "who is like Yahweh?" and is the name of the Archangel Michael. I was hoping for him to have the qualities of Michael the Archangel - stepping on the serpent and giants of his life because he is God's champion. =D


CHEENA

Kae's mandarin name is
Zongwei.

Zong is ancestor in mandarin, so I kept thinking I wanted to change it becoz I hate for him to be linked to ancestor worship or something (what I kept feeling his name meant).

Then I found out when broken apart the elements of his name means building of worship. =D Yay! I think that is a great thing to know that Kae is a building of worship - a temple of God's praise! =)

And I thought his Wei means binding thread but now I have found out it means opposing thread. =( A pretty negative term.

I would like to change it now to mean either (commission, yield, entrust) or (great).

The wei that means( commission, yield, entrust) is formed of the elements of grain and women tho' so not sure if it is masculine =p

I am okay with the wei (wei da) that means great but my Mum being superstitious, insists that becoz her brother has that character in his name, Kae will be "stepping on" his good name. =p

I dun believe in the latter, but I believe in giving respect to my mum's feelings about it as she is my parent and we are called to honour our parents.

But there's only so many wei words in the Chinese dictionary that have the third sound.

Maybe change to similar sounding hui (first sound) that has the Chinese word for sun to the left and soldier on the right - means radiant. =) It also gives him a bit of a bond with Ian's mandarin name which is
En Hui (or grace shines - which I think is reflected in his soul... Ian doubly blessed with doubly grace-filled names in both languages. Lol.)

I love the way my name,
Xiu Ying , breaks down!! Just found out my xiu (which is the xiu used in xiu cai - scholar)... when broken down, the first half of my chinese name means this...

Stalk struggling from weight of abundant grain =D Ears of grain. Outstanding, excellent, elegant and graceful.

Wow!!! Praise God for that revelation - I am always filled with so much abundance because of His grace in my life... HALLELUJAH!

Ying (straw head, roof and a jade underneath) means glow of jade.

FYI - The name Jade in Hebrew is Jayden which means "God has heard" =)

I know this feels almost like I am stretching it... but why not? Hehe.

I feel God's glory shines in my life now and that is because God has been always here and always been hearing my prayer. All my life I have been blessed and blessed and blessed and greatly blessed by His provision - I totally can attest to that with a sincere heart and in all honesty.

All glory to my Jehovah Jireh!! My God and Provider!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon 31/08/2008 - Pastor Lian (NCC)

What the Anointing Oil is & Prayer for the Anointing Oil

Vision Sunday 2013 - The Keys of David (06.01.13) by Pastor Joseph Prince, New Creation Church Singapore. SERMON NOTES